Nothing says comfort like a hot bowl of soup on winter evenings… and when some say soup the first things comes to my mind is…… Vegetable Manchow Soup – Hot spicy and sour Indo-Chinese soup with the crunch of veggies and topped with boiled noodles…. Basically, it’s a Chinese recipe that has been metamorphosed to a spicy Indo-Chinese one with a perfect fusion of both Chinese flavors and Indian spices. And trust me Vegetable Manchow Soup is one of the simplest and quickest soups you can make.
Manchow soup is a hot and spicy soup made from plenty of finely chopped vegetables simmered in a broth a generous helping of ginger, garlic, and other herbs, flavored with soy sauce and vinegar and thickened with a cornflour mixture. All these flavors make this soup very refreshing.. The aromas of this soup truly awaken your senses. Delicious! And with every spoonful of this soup, there will be a burst of flavors in your mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ideally, the highlight of this delightful soup is the garnish of fried noodles but I don’t feel like frying them so topped it with some boiled noodles, you add fried noodles too. Also, the choice of veggies is totally open-ended and you can add any vegetable of your choice. For the protein element in the soup, along with mushrooms, you can add chopped tofu or paneer. In restaurants when you order Vegetable Manchow Soup, what they serve is a thick soup but I don’t prefer my soup to be too thick so added less of corn flour, you can adjust the thickness of soup by adding more or less corn flour. And do not dare to forget the ultimate garnish: finely chopped coriander/cilantro, for that extra freshness.
Say no to soup from a packet or take out from a restaurant, do try out this vegetable manchow soup and enjoy a comforting, healthy and light soup as a starter or just as a snack break. Serve this healthy and comforting Vegetable Manchow Soup with any Indo-Chinese main course for a Chinese experience in your home!!
Let us check the quick and easy recipe of lip-smacking Vegetable Manchow Soup………
Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Serves: 2 | Cuisine: Indo-Chinese
Difficulty Level: Easy
Ingredients for Vegetable Manchow Soup:
- ¼ cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup grated carrots
- ¼ to ⅓ cup sliced or chopped mushrooms
- ¼ cup finely chopped French beans
- -¼ cup finely chopped capsicums or bell peppers.
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 to 2 fresh green chilies- finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce or add as required
- 3 cups water/vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch/ cornflour dissolved in 1/4 cup water.
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped coriander/cilantro for garnish (optional)
- ½ cup boiled/fried noodles
How to Make Vegetable Manchow Soup:
- Heat oil in a wok or pan and add the chopped chilies, garlic, and ginger.
- Sauté for a minute on high and then add chopped onions. Sauté for a minute.
- Now add finely chopped French beans and chopped mushrooms. Stir fry on a medium to high flame till the mushrooms get lightly browned from the edges.
- Then add grated carrots, shredded cabbage, finely chopped capsicum/bell pepper. Stir fry on a medium to high flame for 3 to 4 minutes. (make sure you do not overcook the veggies as you need the crunch of vegetables in the soup).
- Once the veggies are done, add soy sauce and black pepper, stir.
- Now add water/vegetable stock. Season with salt and allow the soup to come to a simmer on a medium flame. Keep a check on the amount of salt as soy sauce already has a lot of salt.
- Meanwhile, make a smooth paste of the cornstarch with water. And add the cornstarch paste to the soup. Stir very well and let the Vegetable Manchow Soup thicken. (If you want a thicker soup, add more cornflour)
- Lastly, add vinegar, and switch off the flame, stir and check the taste of Vegetable Manchow Soup. Add more seasonings like salt, black pepper or soy sauce or vinegar if required.
- Stir and serve vegetable manchow soup hot topped with boiled noodles. You can also mix chopped coriander leaves towards the end or serve veg manchow soup garnished with coriander leaves.