My weekend treat… Kadai Paneer– Restaurant style delicious semi-dry gravy made with Indian cottage cheese cooked in onion tomato gravy with fresh kadai masala and its low in fat too as no yogurt or cream is used in this recipe…. The kadai paneer curry turns out to be very flavorful, slightly spicy, tangy and delicious ….
Whenever we go to a Punjabi restaurant Kadai Paneer recipe is a must for the main course. But last week when we had been to a popular restaurant, the taste of Kadai Paneer was not that good…. so I thought of preparing this at home. I was skeptical before trying this recipe, as I have decided to make it from scratch but trust me it turned out to be one of the yummiest paneer recipes I have ever cooked….
Before coming to the recipe let me tell you about the origin of this dish. Kadai Paneer is the most popular recipe in Punjabi cuisine. This dish originated in the region of Punjab situated partially in India and Pakistan. This dish adopted the word kadai in its name because of the utensil used to prepare this, as traditionally it is prepared in the kadhai (Indian Wok). The technique of Kadhai cooking is similar to those used to make dishes local to Punjab region of India and Pakistan… This dish originated in Punjab but is now prepared across India with variations to suit different palates … but I feel the real essence of Punjabi food lays in its originality.
In this recipe, paneer cubes are simmered in spicy and tangy onion-tomato based curry with freshly grounded aromatic masala. The hero of this dish is freshly grounded masala (Kadai Masala), that gives it an aromatic flavor and it a treat for all your senses. Kadai masala is actually a combination of 5 basic spices that are commonly used in Punjabi Kitchens: cumin seeds, dried coriander seeds, red chillis, kasuri methi and dry black peppercorns. To make these ingredients into wonderful kadai masala you just need to put them into a pan and dry roasted till they became aromatic. Then powder them and its ready. You can store it in an airtight container for a good 1 month.
Kadai paneer has an irresistible flavor with the blend of paneer, diced onion, and green bell peppers, with spicy tomato based gravy flavored with aromatic spices. Where onion and bell peppers add just the right amount of crunch while the spices give it an irresistible flavor. It is very healthy as well as nutritious dish, as it contains less fat than many other Punjabi paneer dishes as no cream is added to it.
All I can say Punjabi food is wholesome and full of rustic flavor. Kadai paneer is a gem among the Punjabi cuisine, which has spread its shine around the world.
So here is the recipe for Semi-dry Kadai Paneer, Do try this delectable recipe in your kitchen and enjoy the exotic and real Punjabi Food. Serve it hot with garlic naan, lachcha parantha or any Indian bread of your choice.
KADAI PANEER RECIPE | KADAI PANEER WITH FRESH KADAI MASALA RECIPE
Total time: 45 mins
Serves: 4 | Cuisine: Indian, Punjabi
Ingredients for KADAI PANEER Recipe:
for kadai masala:
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 15 dry black peppers
- 1 tsp Kasuri methi
- 3 Kashmiri red chillies, dried
- 2 tsp oil
- 1-inch ginger, minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 8-10 paneer, cubes
- ½ onion, cubed
- ½ capsicum, cubed
- ½ tomato, deseeded and cubed
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¾ tsp chilli powder
- salt to taste
- water as required
Instructions for KADAI PANEER Recipe: ( 1 cup =255 ml)
kadai masala recipe:
- firstly, in a pan, and dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, 15-20 black peppers. fry till they turn aromatic.
- Now turn off the flame and add red chillis and kasuri methi. Let them roast for a few seconds in the heat of hot pan
- furthermore, allow them to cool and coarsely powder them in a mixer.
tomato-onion gravy recipe:
- firstly, in a kadai, oil and sauté ginger and garlic.
- then add chopped onions and sauté till they begun to sweat.
- In addition, add chopped tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes. Once the tomatoes are slightly done add in tomato puree.
- Add in 2 tsp of prepared kadai masala with add required amount of salt. also add turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala. Cover the kadai with a lid and let the gravy simmer, and release oil.
- When the gravy begins to release oil add in ½ cup of water and cubed onions and capsicum and get to a boil.
- cook covered for 5 minutes.
- After 5 mins, add paneer and mix gently.
- furthermore, add cubed tomatoes, ½ tsp of kadai masala. Turn of the flame and cover with a lid, let the tomatoes cook slightly in steam and masala release its flavor.
- Transfer in a serving dish and serve hot with garlic naan or parantha.