Indo-Chinese food, a genre that can be found very commonly on the streets of India and Vegetable Manchurian is an absolute favorite of all. It is basically made of deep-fried mixed vegetable dumplings in a gravy made with oriental sauces. And for making veg Manchurian the most important vegetable is cabbage.
Being a huge fan of Indo-Chinese cuisine, Vegetable Manchurian is one of my absolute favorite appetizers of all time. But this time I decided to give it a twist and make it using Broccoli as the main ingredient. Along with broccoli, I have used carrots also. Trust me it tasted just the same, or I can say even better. It tastes great when served on the side of Vegetable Manchow Soup or Hakka Noodles. I usually prefer the gravy version of this Broccoli Manchurian, but you can make the sauce bit thicker and make a dry version as well and serve it as an appetizer.
I was planning to make this dish for a very long time and today I finally managed to make it. Actually, it is very easy to make and takes very less time. And trust me this is one of the smarter and delicious ways to make your family eat broccoli. It tastes heavenly. Everyone at my home loved it. I can bet even the People who do not like broccoli are going to love it, this dish might just be the broccoli dish you were waiting for. The taste of this Manchurian will surely blow your mind. The soft and moist The Manchurian balls soaks all the flavor from the sauce so well and give a lip-smacking taste.
I have used very basic ingredients to make this dish that are usually available in the pantry. Like Corn flour, Chili flakes, Bell peppers, Ginger, Garlic, Onions, Green Chilies, black pepper, and salt. Apart from these ingredients, I have used soy sauce and vinegar also, the life of all Indo-Chinese dishes.
To begin making this delicious delicacy, I have mixed minced broccoli florets and carrots with cornflour and required seasonings, then deep fried the balls until golden. Lastly, add the fried Manchurians balls with the gravy made using very basic Chinese sauces and veggies.
Tangy, spicy and delicious Broccoli Manchurian is ready to serve. Enjoy it with your favorite Rice or Noodle accompaniment.
Believe me, once you make this Broccoli Manchurian at home, I am pretty sure, you may not really want to go to any Chinese restaurant or any food outlet to enjoy this Indo-Chinese appetizer. Mark my words, it is such an easy recipe to make at home. What are you waiting for, just try this one and let me know how it turns out for you. I request you to send me photos of your dishes you have tried from the blog,.,. will share them on my Facebook and Instagram account.
Before I start with the detailed recipe, here are some pro tips for making a perfect broccoli Manchurian-
- Making Manchurian balls is a time-consuming task. You can mince the vegetables in a food processor or can use a knife whatever suits you… but I prefer to use a food processor as it saves me on time..,.,.
- You may find making Manchurian balls a bit tricky. Just make sure there is no extra moisture in the veggie mixture. You need not add extra water to the mixture. The moisture available in minced vegetables is enough to shape the balls.
- For making crispier balls you can add some rice flour to vegetable mixture.
- The consistency of Broccoli Manchurian gravy can be thick or thin as per your preference. Just need to adjust the quantity of corn flour and simmer the sauce.
Listing down the procedure for our very own home-made Broccoli Manchurian.
BROCCOLI MANCHURIAN RECIPE | EASY BROCCOLI MANCHURIAN RECIPE
Total time: 35 mins
Serves: 3 | Cuisine: Indo-Chinese
Ingredients required for BROCCOLI MANCHURIAN:
To prepare Manchurian balls:
- 1 cup cabbage, minced
- ¼ cup carrot, minced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup spring onion greens, minced
- ¼ tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 tbsp corn flour
- ¼ tsp black pepper, crushed
- Oil for deep frying
To prepare Manchurian gravy:
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp ginger, minced
- ½ tsp garlic, minced
- 1 spring onion white/ regular onion, finely chopped
- ¼ capsicum, finely chopped
- ½ tsp chilli sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp black pepper, crushed
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp corn flour
- 2 cups water
Procedure to make BROCCOLI MANCHURIAN: ( 1 cup =250 ml)
Manchurian balls recipe:
- In a large mixing bowl add broccoli, carrot, and spring onion greens.
- Add soy sauce, ginger garlic paste, crushed black pepper and salt as per your taste.
- Squeeze the veggies to remove water from them and mix well.
- Add corn flour and make a nice thick dough.
- Now make small balls and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok and deep fry the balls on medium flame, fry till they turn golden brown.
- Drain off the balls over a kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
Manchurian gravy Recipe:
- In a wok, heat a tbsp of oil. Add ginger and garlic. sauté for a minute.
- Then add onions and continue to sauté for a minute, now add capsicum and sauté for a while. Once the veggies are done add red chilli sauce and soy sauce.
- Now add water (you can even use vegetable stock here). Season with salt and allow the gravy to come to a simmer on a medium flame. Keep a check on the amount of salt as soy sauce already has a lot of salt.
- Meanwhile, make a smooth paste of the cornflour with 1/4 cup water. And add the cornflour paste to the gravy. Stir very well and let the gravy thicken. (If you want a thicker gravy, add more cornflour)
- Add vinegar, and switch off the flame, stir and check the taste of the gravy. Add more seasonings like salt, black pepper or soy sauce or vinegar if required.
- Lastly, add fried balls and give a quick stir. Transfer Broccoli Manchurian to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped spring onions green.